Fire tears apart former restaurant

April 14, 2008 3:45:50 PM PDT
A fire destroyed the former Kahunaville restaurant and nightclub in Wilmington.

Firefighters were called to the fire at 11:30 Monday morning.

Flames broke out in a gazebo and spread to the building and the boardwalk area along the waterfront.

In its heyday, locals gathered at this restaurant and one of a kind family entertainment center, but two years ago the owner of Kahunaville suddenly announced the business was closing. That news that shocked many, given the ongoing development on Wilmington's riverfront with condo's, apartments and other restaurants.

A children's museum is planned here now. Indications are three people were inside working on the building when flames were spotted. They safely escaped while firefighters contended with heavy flames and today's windy weather.

"It was certainly a concern. We only had minor extensions. The units did a great job. They were able to confine it," said Christopher Murtha of the Wilmington Fire Department.

It took firefighters about an hour and a half to get the blaze under control with the help of Wilmington's fireboat, which supplied an endless amount of water.

Clean up efforts began right away as firefighters searched for the cause of the blaze.


Load Comments