Fire leaves apartment residents in the cold

January 2, 2008 3:36:45 PM PST
Barely one day into the New Year and 32 apartment residents are fire victims.

Officials said the fire started in the bedroom of a first floor unit and it appears to have been an accident.

Nooruddin Anwar and his family lost everything in the early morning blaze. The fire gutted four apartments and damaged four others at Hunters Glen on Route 130 in Delran.

Investigators said the fire started in 83-H, a first floor unit just beneath the Anwars.

The fire was reported about 2:40 a.m. and sent 32 people into the cool night air. Some tenants were awakened by smoke detectors, while neighbors and firefighters got others out. Thankfully, no one was injured.

Late this afternoon, embers rekindled and firefighters returned to douse them. The Red Cross and the complex management are providing assistance to the fire victims.


Load Comments