New charges in Fort Dix case

January 16, 2008 5:30:45 AM PST
A grand jury has added attempted murder and additional weapons charges against a group of men already accused of planning an attack on Fort Dix last year. In a federal indictment handed up today in U.S. District Court in Camden, the grand jury said there was evidence that the men attempted to kill uniformed members of the military.

They had previously been charged with conspiracy to commit such an attack. That conspiracy charge remains against all five men.

The superseding indictment does not spell out why the attempt charge was added.

U.S. Attorney's Office spokesman Greg Reinert declined to elaborate.

Rocco Cipparone Jr., lawyer for Mohamad Ibrahim Shnewer, says the charges were anticipated.

Michael Huff, lawyer for Dritan Duka, said, "If your client is innocent of the charges, it doesn't matter what he is charged with."


Load Comments