Colts' Harrison questioned in shooting probe

May 2, 2008 8:39:01 PM PDT
Police are investigating a possible connection between a North Philadelphia shooting and pro-bowl wide receiver Marvin Harrison. Sources tell Action News a group of men got into a fight at Harrison's bar, Playmakers, at 25th and Thompson Streets last weekend.

On Tuesday, one of the men allegedly went to Harrison's brother's detail shop where another fight broke out. Shots were fired and two men were injured. Harrison showed up at the scene a short time later.

Police called him in for questioning. Harrison turned over a gun that produces unique bullet casings similar to ones found at the scene.

"He was interviewed," Vanore said Friday. "Why he was interviewed, that is all part of the investigation. No one is a suspect."

Investigators say Harrison is cooperating.

Harrison's agent, Tom Condon, denied the player was involved in the shooting.

"I've spoken with Marvin and I've spoken with his attorney, and they say the reports are erroneous," Condon told ESPN. "Marvin was not involved in any shooting, and he is not the subject of this investigation."

WIP Radio and ESPN first reported this story. (CLICK HERE)

A source told WIP that ballistic tests showed the shots were fired from a custom-made Belgian weapon, and police determined Harrison owns that kind of gun.

Police went to a Philadelphia car wash owned by Harrison and questioned him about the gun, the station said. Harrison acknowledged owning such a weapon, but told officials it never left his suburban Philadelphia home, the radio station reported.

The source told the station a gun was discovered in a bucket at the car wash, and tests showed it had fired bullets that matched those at the scene.

Harrison, a Roman Catholic graduate, currently plays for the Indianapolis Colts.

After the first day of their rookie minicamp, Colts coach Tony Dungy said he knew little more than had been reported.

"My phone has been ringing, too, but I don't have any details," Dungy said. "I really don't have any more information than you do."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is aware of the report and is "looking into it."

Harrison has played his entire 12-season career with the Colts and is the franchise's record-holder in every major receiving category - receptions (1,042), yards (13,944), touchdowns (123) and 100-yard games (59). The 35-year-old is one of only four players in league history to top 1,000 receptions.

But after eight consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, last season was the most frustrating of Harrison's career.

He injured his left knee against Denver on Sept. 30, finished with 20 receptions for 247 yards and one TD and missed all but five games.

Team president Bill Polian said in February that Harrison was recovering from offseason arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and had been rehabilitating the inflamed capsule in his left knee. He was not expected to be completely healthy for the start of the Colts training camp July 24.

The typically quiet Harrison has a reputation for being humble on and off the field.

But he's still one of the Colts' most visible players - and their longest tenured veteran. Harrison, along with Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James, were nicknamed Indy's triplets in the late 1990s. He was a first-round draft pick in 1996 out of Syracuse and wound up the best receiver in a class that included Keyshawn Johnson and Eric Moulds.

Off the field, Harrison was sued following the 2005 Pro Bowl when three boys accused him of attacking them when they tried to get his autograph. The suit alleged Harrison "violently and physically attacked" the minors, including placing a "potentially deadly choke hold" on one of the boys, but it was later dismissed.

---
(AP Sports Writer Michael Marot in Indianapolis contributed to this report.)


Load Comments