Faulty wiring sparked church fire

<div class="meta image-caption"><div class="origin-logo origin-image none"><span>none</span></div><span class="caption-text">4.30.2008 -  The view from Chopper 6 at noon shows what&#39;s left of the smoldering stonework at the Prince of Peace Baptist Church at 32nd and Berks streets in Philadelphia. </span></div>
May 9, 2008 2:59:03 PM PDT
Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says last week's fire that destroyed a church building was caused by faulty wiring in the basement. The April 30 fire destroyed the four-story building that was constructed as a school and later converted to be the home of the Prince of Peace Baptist Church.

The pastor has said he plans to rebuild on the same site, but that could take up to two years. The congregation gathered Sunday in a tent nearby, the kind often used for weddings, and plans to meet this Sunday in another church a few blocks away.

The Fire Department announced the cause of the fire on Friday.


Load Comments