Water heater burns kill Pa. Amish woman

July 1, 2008 5:59:05 AM PDT
An Amish woman from Mercer County has died of burns she suffered when she tried to use gasoline to light a wood-burning water heater last month.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office says 25-year-old Ada Kurtz died Sunday at UPMC Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh, where she was being treated for burns over nearly 70 percent of her body.

New Wilmington Fire Chief Gary Wagner says the gasoline fumes apparently ignited when Kurtz was trying to light the heater June 21. Wagner says the woman was using a container labeled "kerosene" but that it actually contained gasoline.

Wagner says the fire went out without damaging the woman's home.


Load Comments