• WEATHER ALERT Severe Thunderstorm Warning

Teen injured drinking liquid nitrogen

August 15, 2008 6:06:26 AM PDT
A gifted 15-year-old student from India had to be rushed to the hospital after drinking liquid nitrogen during a science class at Princeton University. The class was part of a program run by the Connecticut-based Summer Institute for the Gifted. It isn't affiliated with the university.

The students were performing a popular experiment in which liquid nitrogen is used to make ice cream.

Nitrogen liquefies at negative 328 degrees Fahrenheit -- cold enough to cause burns.

The Summer Institute says the boy was in critical condition and has been upgraded to stable.

---

Information from: The Times, http://www.nj.com/times

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments