Child hurt in Glendora fire dies

August 21, 2008 12:43:09 PM PDT
One of the children hurt in a Wednesday morning fire has died.A woman and two children were hospitalized after a fire Wednesday morning in Gloucester Township's Glendora section.

The home belonged to Christine Holland, who was babysitting Justin Freitag, 5, who died Thursday morning at Saint Christopher's Hospital for children. He had suffered burns and smoke inhalation.

Holland's son, Mason Hicks, 2, remains in critical condition. Holland herself is in fair condition.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. According to the fire marshal, the children were playing in the basement and spilled over a container of gasoline, and the vapors filled the room.

There is a hot water heater in the basement that had pilot light, the fire marshal thinks that the pilot ignited the vapors, sparking the fire.

Police say the mother was able to get out with one of the children, but was not able to get the other out.

Two police officers who arrived on the scene tried to rescue the other child, but without the proper equipement their rescue attempt was unsuccessful.

Soon, firefighters arrived, and they were able to get inside, and rescue the child.

Neighbor Charlene Kelly found herself choked up while talking to Action News about what she saw.

"We looked throught he fence, and they had this little boy on a stretcher," Kelly said. "And it looked like he was burned pretty bad."

In addition, two police officers who arrived at the scene first were also slightly injured trying to help the Holland family. They were treated and released for smoke inhalation.

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments