Neighbors save man from Ogontz fire

December 17, 2008 1:37:56 PM PST
Quick action by neighbors helped save a man from a burning home.That man was taken to the hospital with burns to over 70% of his body after the Wednesday afternoon fire.

Firefighters were called out around 2:00 p.m. to a home on the 1900 block of Church Lane in the Ogontz section of Philadelphia.

Neighbors tell Action News the man who lives there can't walk, and when they saw the flames they didn't hesitate.

"The whole middle room blew, and we were dragging him down the steps. We were dragging him down the steps, and he was on fire, there were fire marks all over him. He was burnt up," said Vaughn, one of the rescuers.

That man, described as being in his mid-50s, is suffering from 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

Investigators are still try to figure out what sparked the blaze.

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments