'Missing mom' murder suspect indicted

January 9, 2009 7:26:27 PM PST
A married man accused of killing his mistress and dumping her dismembered body in a Staten Island pond was indicted Friday on a first-degree murder charge. Rosario DiGirolamo also was charged with fourth-degree tampering with evidence in the indictment handed up by a Mercer County grand jury. If convicted, he could face life in prison.

An arraignment date has not been scheduled.

The indictment alleges the 34-year-old former Millstone resident killed 27-year-old Amy Giordano in June 2007. She was last seen shopping for groceries with DiGirolamo and their infant son.

DiGirolamo was released from the Mercer County Jail in late November after posting a $1 million bond.

Also named in the indictment was John A. Russo Jr., 44, of Staten Island, a friend of DiGirolamo who led authorities to the body. He was charged with one count of fourth-degree tampering with evidence and could face up to 18 months in prison if convicted.

Prosecutors allege that DiGirolamo hit Giordano over the head and then chopped up her body with a hacksaw after she was dead. They say he then stuffed some of the remains in a suitcase and dropped it in the pond on June 9.

DiGirolamo then drove the couple's 11-month-old son to a Delaware hospital, where he abandoned the boy in a parking lot because he could no longer afford to support two households. When discovered at the hospital by a nurse, the child had a handwritten note pinned to his diaper that called him "John Vincent" and said his caregiver had no job or health insurance.

The boy was soon identified after a tipster recognized him as Giordano's child. However, there was no trace of her until authorities were led to the pond in March 2008 by Russo.

Giordano was living with the couple's son in an apartment in Hightstown when she vanished. Authorities said DiGirolamo was paying the $850 a month rent and was frequently seen at the apartment.

Shortly after Giordano disappeared, DiGirolamo abandoned his family, quit his job and flew to Italy, where he remained for about six weeks before returning to face child abandonment charges. He later pleaded guilty and was fined.

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.