Generator suspected for CO scare in Philly

February 2, 2009 4:20:27 AM PST
Investigators believe fumes from a gas generator powering a fan for two giant inflatable playhouses caused a carbon monoxide scare at a child's birthday party, sending 17 people for hospital treatment.

The fan was filling two large Moonbounce balloons, which children were playing in at Saturday's party in the West Oak Lane section, Philadelphia Fire Department Capt. John Cleary said Sunday.

Six of the victims were children, ages 3 to 16. Most of those who were sickened were expected to be released by Sunday, Darby said.

Two of the children were being treated in a hyperbaric chamber and it wasn't clear when they would be released. None of the injuries were considered life threatening.

The incident happened inside the H & H Community Development Center at around 8:30 p.m. Saturday.

Cleary said he did not know whether the generator for the fan was inside or outside of the community center hall.

The investigation was continuing and more information will released next week, but officials believe the generator is to blame, Cleary said.

Officials are asking anyone else who was at the party to get checked out at a hospital.

CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter

CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website

CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments