NJ principal spots fire at teacher's house

February 25, 2009 4:42:00 AM PST
She's not just a school principal - she's a rescuer. Principal Jill MacIntosh noticed flames shooting out of a garbage can as she drove to work Tuesday at Washington Street Elementary School in Toms River.

It turned out that the fire was on the property of Wendy Yorke, a third-grade teacher at her school who is home on maternity-leave with her 4-month-old son.

MacIntosh knocked on the door and helped get her employee out.

The only damage to the home was on the exterior of the garage - though Yorke family members say it could have been much worse without MacIntosh.

The fire apparently started after the teacher's husband Michael Yorke dumped ashes from a wood-burning stove into the trash can.

---

Information from: Asbury Park Press, http://www.app.com

CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter

CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website

CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments