Bible reader blamed for firehouse fire

March 4, 2009 8:46:57 AM PST
Authorities say a fire that damaged a Detroit firehouse was started by a towel that a firefighter used to shade a lamp while he was reading the Bible.

The Ladder 14 company crew returned from fighting a blaze early Tuesday and found their firehouse in flames.

The Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News report investigators say a firefighter had draped a towel over a lamp to shade it while he read his Bible.

Fire Department Capt. Steve Varnas said the firefighter forgot to remove the towel when he and the rest of the company went to fight the other fire.

Varnas says the fire was considered accidental.

Investigators did not immediately respond to a call seeking additional information Wednesday, including whether the firefighter would face discipline.

CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter

CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website

CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments