10 kids drink windshield fluid at daycare

March 13, 2009 6:40:59 AM PDT
Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.

Hilary DeMillo, a spokeswoman at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock, says one of the 10 children who drank the fluid Thursday afternoon is still hospitalized Friday morning.

Pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist Laura James says the child's blood samples had high levels of methanol, which can cause blindness.

James tells The Associated Press that the daycare staffer put the windshield wiper fluid in a refrigerator accidentally after a shopping trip. Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, each drank about an ounce of the fluid before realizing what it was.

Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, says child welfare officials planned to visit the Scott community daycare Friday. Munsell did not know the name of the daycare.

Information from: KATV-TV, http://www.katv.com/

CLICK HERE to follow Action News on Twitter

CLICK HERE to get Action News on your website

CLICK HERE to find Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments