Police shoot naked man after assaults

March 25, 2009 11:16:35 AM PDT
Delaware State Police say an officer was forced to shoot a naked man after an early morning incident in Newport.Officers were called out to the unit block of North Avenue in Wilmington around 2:14 a.m. Wednesday for a violent domestic assault. When officers arrived, they learned the suspect had fled the home.

About a half-hour later, a patrol officer was travelling westbound on Route 4 near Forest Drive, when he saw a naked man standing in the road.

Police later learned that man, identified as Fabian Silvestre, 35, of WIlmington, was the same man wanted in the earlier domestic assault.

Upon seen Silvestre standing in the road naked, and unaware of the earlier domestic assault, the officer stopped his patrol car and got out. That's when, police say, Silvestre charged the officer, and began to assault him. The officer tried to back away, but investigators say Silvestre continued the attack.

The officer was backed up into the rear parking lot of Alpha Pizza in the 1400 block of Maryland Avenue. The fight continued, and police say the officer yelled at Silvestre, and used pepper spray on him in an effort to get him to stop the assault. Investigators then say Silvestre got ahold of the officer's portable radio, and started to beat the officer with it.

Authorities say the officer was backed up to a wall and, fearing for his life, fired his gun twice, hitting Silvestre once in the left shoulder. However, the officer says Silvestre did not seem fazed by being shot, and continued the assault.

A second officer then arrived on the scene, and deployed his TASER, but Silvestre continued to fight. A third officer arrived on the scene as the TASER was used a second time, and Silvestre was finally subdued.

Ambulances were called, and Silvestre, along with the first two officers, were taken from the scene to Christiana Hospital.

The initial officer was treated for a separated right shoulder, an injury to his left arm as well as multiple contusions and scrapes. The initial backup officer was treated for an injury to his right knee. Both officers were treated and released.

Silvestre was admitted to the hospital for further observation.

As the investigation continued, police say they learned more details about the original domestic assault call.

Polic say Silvestred left his home around 2:14 a.m., and stood outside. His wife went outside to check on him, and while the two were talking, police say Silvestre started attacking her, beating her about the face. She fell to the ground, and investigators say Silvestre took his clothes off, then ran away from the residence.

Silvestre's wife was taken to Christiana Hospital where she was treated for a fractured nose and a concussion.

Silvestre will be formally charged with Felony 2nd Assault upon his release from the hospital.

Police say the investigation into the shooting continues, and charges have not been filed as of yet.

The officer involved in the shooting has been placed on administrative duty as per divisional policy.

You can get the latest crime statistics from the Philadelphia Police by CLICKING HERE for the force's crime data mapping site.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.