Missing, dead fishermen identified

March 25, 2009 10:19:29 AM PDT
The Coast Guard has released the names of the dead and missing crew members of a fishing boat that sank off the New Jersey coast.
  • VIDEO: Survivor talks about his ordeal. Lauren Wilson reports.
  • SLIDES: Pictures from the rescue effort
  • RAW VIDEO: Coast Guard brings victims to shore

    Killed were brothers Roy Smith Jr. and Timothy Smith.

    Missing are Frenki Credle, Frank Reyes, William Torres and Tarzan Smith.

    Hometowns were not immediately available, but authorities say they appeared to have split their time between North Carolina and New Jersey.

    They were aboard the 71-foot Lady Mary when it went down 75 miles off the coast of Cape May Tuesday. Only one crew member is known to have survived, thus far. His name is Jose Luis Ariese.

    Others fishing in the area said bad weather quickly closed in just before the boat sank.

    Earlier Wednesday, the air search for four missing fishermen whose boat sank off the New Jersey coast was suspended.

    The helicopters went out to continue the search around 7:00 a.m. Wednesday, but landed again a few hours later. There are no plans to send them back out.

    Only a Coast Guard cutter, the "Dependable" out of Cape May, remains in the water to search for the men.

    The cutter searched throughout the night in the area where the Lady Mary went down, about 75 miles off the coast of Cape May.

    Two of the three crew members who were rescued Tuesday died, leaving only one survivor of what could rank among the nation's worst commercial fishing accidents.

    All seven crew members were wearing cold-water survival suits before abandoning ship Tuesday, the Coast Guard said, but a national search and rescue expert has said odds are slim they are still alive in the 40-degree water.

    Steven L. Labov, chief of the U.S. Search and Rescue Task Force, has said expected survival time would be under six hours in water that cold. The men have been missing for over a day.

    There's still no word on what caused the 71-foot scallop boat to sink. Both the Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board are looking into the cause of the sinking, Henise said.

    Follow Action News on Twitter

    Get Action News on your website

    Follow Action News on Facebook

    Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.