2 IUP dorm deaths caused by drug overdoses

May 1, 2009 7:16:06 AM PDT
A coroner says two students found dead in separate incidents at Indiana University of Pennsylvania dormitories were killed by drug overdoses. Indiana County Coroner Michael Baker says 18-year-old Douglas Haney, of Bellefonte, was using marijuana and chewing on fentanyl painkilling patches before he died in his room Feb. 10. Baker says chewing the patches quickly released a three-day supply of drugs into Haney's system and he ingested three times the lethal dose.

Another student, 18-year-old Brenton Croll, of Roaring Spring, died March 18 in a friend's dorm room. Baker says he died from drinking heavily while using prescription drugs, including the antidepressant Xanax. The effects of such drugs are increased by alcohol.

Campus and Indiana police are investigating.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments