Victim in Seattle priest abuse trial settles

May 18, 2009 1:40:51 PM PDT
One of two men suing the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle over sexual abuse by a priest has agreed to a mid-trial settlement. The other is continuing to press his claims at the trial in King County Superior Court, where former Seattle Archbishop Raymond Hunthausen took the stand Monday.

After the settlement was revealed, Judge Paris Kallas cautioned jurors not to draw any conclusions.

Timothy Kosnoff, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said the settlement was for about $600,000, but he would not say whether that included legal fees or other costs. Archdiocese spokesman Greg Magnoni said the victim's lawyers called Sunday night and accepted a settlement offer the archdiocese had made two months ago during mediation.

The case is the first sex-abuse case to go to trial against the archdiocese, which has settled more than 200 cases out of court and has fewer than 20 claims pending. The men were abused by Patrick O'Donnell, a priest sent to Seattle from Spokane in 1976.

Hunthausen, 87, used a cane and was assisted by archdiocese lawyer Michael Patterson as he walked through the courtroom to the witness stand. He testified that his friend and mentor, Spokane Bishop Bernard Topel, never told him that O'Donnell was a repeat pedophile when he sent the priest to Seattle.

Hunthausen also said he could not explain why he accepted O'Donnell into the archdiocese and allowed him full powers of ministry without the usual documentation required of priests who temporarily move to another diocese. Hunthausen acknowledged he should have done more to check the priest's background.

"It was a breach on my part," Hunthausen said. "It's hard to acknowledge that now. It hurts me."

O'Donnell testified last week and apologized for what he had done.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.