Bar where officer was shot faces violations

June 16, 2009 4:27:09 AM PDT
Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers confirmed the nuisance bar outside of which Officer Ashley Hoggard was shot is owned by firefighter Eugene Coulter, a 3 year veteran of the department.Coulter wasn't at the bar during the shooting but police are painting a troubling picture about what happened Sunday.

L & I laid the hammer on the Franchise Sports Bar on North Broad citing it for nuisance, fire code and other violations.

Surveillance cameras at the bar are shedding new light on the early morning shooting of Officer Ashley Hoggard Sunday.

However, police would only describe the captured video saying it's critical to the investigation.

"Before this shooting you could see individuals in that liquor establishment in a crowded area on a dance floor in possession of a firearm," said Deputy Commissioner William Blackburn.

Minutes later around 2:30 a.m. one patron is shot multiple times outside of the bar. The gunman reportedly hands off the 9mm to a second suspect who passes it to a third person when Officer Hoggard enters the scene.

"We see him walk southbound and go between two parked cars. At that point we see the police officer double over and go back on the sidewalk and collapse."

What is captured by cameras inside the bar is especially disturbing to investigators. As Hoggard lay on the sidewalk bleeding from the wound to his shoulder someone pulls a trash bag from near the bar and begins handing out handguns like shots of tequila people are fleeing out of all exits of the bar.

"It seems to me that it's an area under control of the management of the bar. It doesn't appear that the general public belongs where those guns are being handed out."

When the smoke clears more than 30 shots are fired. Four people, including Hoggard, are rushed to Temple Hospital. All are in stable to good condition and police are now working to identify suspects. In 2007, a double homicide went down at the bar. The manager tells Action News that 3 armed security men and a bouncer were on staff this weekend.

Attempts to contact the owner, Eugene Coulter, were unsuccessful. The fire commissioner says that Coulter is cooperating fully with investigators and he will take the appropriate steps as he gathers more information.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.