Dog saves family from house fire

June 22, 2009 3:54:38 PM PDT
My dog is my hero. Those are the words of a 29-year-old woman in Delran, New Jersey, and as it turns out, the dog may also have saved the lives of an entire family."He just kept hovering over that area there until we actually opened the door."

Mary Louise Kowalewski showed Action News the burnt out remains of her home. Fire broke out just before the crack of dawn on Father's Day morning. Their home was filled with visiting children and grandchildren. It was their daughter's 7-month-old English Bull Dog "Riley" that sniffed out the fire and woke the family. Mary's husband George is still in shock.

"He truly wouldn't give up. This dog doesn't bark but he wouldn't stop so something was wrong and that's when my daughter opened the door to the garage and there it was."

It was an electrical fire that quickly jumped from the walls of the garage and gutted the entire house. Little Riley then ran outside leading the family to safety just before they heard an explosion in the garage.

Every single person got out safely and Riley, who was visiting from North Jersey, is doing just fine! He's become something of a folk hero as the tale of the persistent pooch spread through the town.

The Kowalewski's have a long road ahead, they lost everything they own but say their hearts are full. They lost the house but Riley saved the family.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments