Sunoco won't repair plant that exploded

<div class="meta image-caption"><div class="origin-logo origin-image none"><span>none</span></div><span class="caption-text">Chopper 6 over the Sunoco refinery fire in Claymont, Delaware on Sunday, May 17, 2009.</span></div>
July 6, 2009 10:51:16 AM PDT
Sunoco said that it will shut down an ethylene plant at the Marcus Hook refinery following a fire and explosion back in May.RELATED SLIDESHOW: Pictures from the refinery fire
RELATED VIDEO: Video of the fire from Chopper 6 HD

In a statement released Monday, Sunoco spokesman Thomas Golembeski said the company has decided there is not enough demand for the products made there to justify the repairs.

Operations at the complex had been suspended since the fire.

Because of the shutdown, some 40 to 50 employees will lose their jobs.

The blast happened the night of May 17th at a facility on the Claymont, Delaware side of the refinery.

It took until the following day for the flames to be extinguished. No one was injured.

Sunoco says preliminary findings are that a pipe failure resulted in the release of gas, leading to the explosion. However, the investigation into what caused that pipe to fail continues.

The company said that, in coordination with the Delaware State Fire Marshal, the damaged section of pipe was removed from the refinery's ethylene complex and sent to an independent, third-party laboratory for detailed testing and analysis.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments