Hammer attack suspect apologizes

July 29, 2009 4:00:06 PM PDT
A Philadelphia man accused of attacking a fellow subway passenger with a hammer says he wants to take responsibility for the attack. Thomas Scantling told a Philadelphia judge he was off his medications when he the unprovoked attack on another man occurred in September. The violent assault was captured by a surveillance camera on the subway car.

The 27-year-old Scantling waived his right to a preliminary hearing Wednesday. He had been undergoing treatment at a mental hospital until March 31, when he was deemed competent to stand trial.

Assistant Public Defender Gregg Blender said he did not object to his client's statement.

Scantling is being held on $1 million bail. He will be arraigned on attempted murder and assault charges on Aug. 19.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments