Extension cord problem sparked fatal Phila. fire

3-year-old Nicholas Budzilo died after suffering severe smoke inhalation, his aunt told Action News.

June 25, 2010 11:13:25 AM PDT
Philadelphia fire officials say the blaze that killed a 3-year-old boy and left his two brothers hospitalized was caused by an overheated extension cord.

Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says an overused cord sparked Tuesday's fire that killed 3-year-old Nicholas Budzilo.

Budzilo died of smoke inhalation on Wednesday, a day after rescuers pulled him and his 5-year-old brother from the flames.

Budzilo's mother and his 1-year-old brother escaped the burning house. His grandfather was hospitalized for burns after trying to rescue the boys who were trapped on the second floor.

Christopher and Jake Budzilo remain hospitalized. Their mother was released from a hospital on Wednesday but their grandfather is still in critical condition.


Load Comments