Authorities in Brigantine say the officer, William Ferris, helped some residents escape the fire, while at least two others got out through a dining room window after hearing their smoke detector go off.
Ferris and the two residents, whose names weren't disclosed, suffered smoke inhalation. They were taken to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center's City Campus, where they were treated and released.
Authorities say both units of the two-story building sustained moderate smoke damage. But it's not yet clear what sparked the fire, which was reported shortly after 5 p.m.
However, authorities say the blaze appears to have been accidental.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City, http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com