Source: Ex-Met Castillo, Phillies agree to minor league deal

FILE - This Feb. 24, 2011, file photo shows New York Mets baseball player Luis Castillo. The Mets released second baseman Luis Castillo, although he is owed $6 million this year. General manager Sandy Alderson informed Castillo of the decision Friday morning, March 18, 2011, with approval from Mets owner Jeff Wilpon. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File)

March 20, 2011 8:32:13 PM PDT
As first reported by ESPN, all signs are pointing to another second baseman joining the Phillies.

On Friday, the New York Mets released Luis Castillo and as states, Castillo "is poised to join the Philadelphia Phillies, according to a baseball source."

As of Sunday night, the official website of the Philadelphia Phillies says Castillo has agreed to a Minor League contract with the team, but they still cite a source.

The Phillies' second base situation is unsettled because of All-Star Chase Utley's knee woes. Utley has not played in any of the Phillies' exhibition games this spring because of patella tendinitis in his right knee.

Action News sports reporter Jeff Skversky said Utley and the Phils are trying to avoid surgery at all costs. There was a glimmer hope Sunday as both Utley and manager Charlie Manuel indicated that Chase is getting a little better, but it's going to take time.

The time now, however, may be for Philadelphia to welcome Luis Castillo to Citizens Bank Park.

The New York Mets released Castillo despite still owing the three-time All-Star $6 million, in the final season of a four-year, $25 million deal.

Castillo won three Gold Gloves, was a two-time NL stolen base champion and helped the 2003 Florida Marlins win the World Series. He is a career .290 hitter with 370 steals in 15 seasons with the Marlins, Minnesota and the Mets. He stole 62 bases in 84 tries in 2000; he was 8 for 11 last year.

Castillo, 35, hit .235 with no homers and 17 RBIs last season in 247 at-bats.

The Associated Press and ESPN contributed to this article.

Load Comments