Montco bus driver pleads guilty in fatal crash

April 4, 2011 11:00:45 AM PDT
A bus driver has pleaded guilty to recklessly driving and causing a crash that left a man dead in Montgomery County.

Frederick Poust III, 39, of Schwenksville, pleaded guilty to homicide by vehicle charges in connection with the crash back on February 17th, 2010 outside Perkiomen Valley Middle School West in Lower Frederick Township.

Richard Taylor, 27, was killed in the crash. He was a passenger in a car that was hit by the bus.

The driver of that car was seriously injured.

The crash was caught on surveillance video. It showed Poust's bus cutting right in front of an oncoming vehicle resulting in the collision.

Prosecutors previously said that Poust, by his own admission, barely slept the night before the accident and Poust can be seen on the surveillance video talking on the phone and listening to music while he blows through a total of ten stop signs before the deadly collision.

Poust faces up to 11 years in prison.

Poust was previously cited for careless driving in a 1999 accident that killed a 2-year-old girl. That crash touched off a national debate about motorists using cellphones after Poust told police he ran a stop sign while dialing.

Load Comments