1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix, prepared according to package directions
2 (16-ounce) cans white frosting
1 cup flaked coconut
2 drops red food color
3 maraschino cherries
1 (0.68-ounce) tube black decorating gel
1. Bake cake mix according to package directions for one 8-inch round baking pan and one 8-inch square baking pan. Make sure batter is divided equally so layers are the same height. Let cool slightly, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
2. Place round layer on a large platter.
3. Cut 2 semi-circles out of square layer on two opposite sides, leaving a bow-tie shape. Place the cut pieces of cake on the platter, forming ears. Place remaining piece of cake at bottom of round cake, forming a bow-tie.
4. Frost entire cake with frosting.
5. In a medium bowl, combine coconut and food color, stirring until coconut turns pink. Place coconut inside the ears and around sides of cake.
6. Place cherries to make the eyes and nose. Use the gel to make whiskers, mouth, and center of bow-tie.
7. Serve or cover loosely until ready to serve.