Woman, 5 dogs killed in Reading fire

April 25, 2011 10:33:21 AM PDT
A woman and five dogs were killed in a fire that erupted inside a house early Monday morning, said the coroner.

Flames broke out around 3:30 in the 1000 block of Spring Street in Reading.

The 59-year-old woman who died was the one who called 911 to report the fire, but she gave dispatchers the wrong address, fire officials told WFMZ-TV.

That delayed the response of firefighters, who found the victim on the second floor of the home and unable to get out on her own.

She was rescued and rushed to the hospital, but the coroner said she died a short time later.

Officials said five dogs also died in the fire, which was put under control in about a half-hour.

The coroner has not yet released the name of the victim because family members are still being notified.

An autopsy will be done to determine exactly how she died, but the coroner said a toxic level of carbon monoxide was found in her system.

Investigators said the fire started in a kitchen, but they have not yet determined the cause.


Information from: WFMZ-TV

Load Comments