The investigation, by the department's Major Crimes Auto Squad, was conducted throughout the city between 2009 and 2011.
Police say the tow truck drivers would picked up cars that were disabled on the highway, involved in an accident, stolen and even those that were legally parked.
They would then allegedly take the cars to various scrap and salvage yards throughout the city to be sold for scrap metal.
All eight are charged with theft by unlawful taking and related offenses.
They are identified as:
- Curtis Herder aka Curtis Gardner 49 year old male from the 1300 block of Bristol Street
- Darrell Larkins 53 year old male from the 1400 block of North Robinson Street
- Emilio Ortiz 40 year old male from the 600 block of West Cambria Street
- Hector Figueroa 33 year old male from 4700 block of "A" Street
- Stephen Schultz 28 year old male from the 3100 block of Fordham Road
- Levare Scott 22 year old male from the 5900 block of "B" Street
- Louis Amaro 31 year old male from the 4600 block of "G" Street
- Karl Hawk 28 year old male from the 5100 block of West Stiles Street