Pentagon taking closer look at Dover mortuary

November 9, 2011 4:20:30 AM PST
The Pentagon will take a closer look at the Dover military mortuary where the Air Force says workers in 2009 twice lost track of body parts of U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta on Tuesday directed a special panel of the Defense Health Board to review operations at Dover and to pass judgment on the adequacy of changes made there since allegations arose last year of multiple cases of mishandled remains at the mortuary.

The Air Force revealed on Tuesday that three mortuary supervisors had been punished - but no one fired - for what officials called "gross mismanagement" at the Delaware facility.

An independent federal investigative agency, the Office of Special Counsel, said the Air Force had fallen short on accepting responsibility for the mistakes.

Load Comments