2 firefighters, resident hurt in Gloucester Co. fire

February 7, 2012 2:50:14 PM PST
Two firefighters and a resident were hurt in a fire on Tuesday morning in Gloucester County.

The fire broke out in a mobile home in the unit block of Monroe Avenue around 10:00 a.m.

The resident, identified as Michelle Ledrich, was in a back bedroom when the fire broke out. She was able to call 911 from the burning trailer home.

Mantua Fire Chief Brian Hauss and Lt. Michael Craft fought flames and smoke to save Ledrich.

"These firefighters basically risked their lives to save this woman," said Gloucester Co. Prosecutor Sean Dalton. "They deserved a world of credit."

Friends and relatives on scene say Ledrich, the mother of a young son, suffered burns to over 80% of her body. She remains in an induced coma.

"I flew up here and I've been here since, crying," said a friend identified only as Don.

Chief Hauss, who is also a Mantua police officer, and Lt. Craft also suffered burns. They, along with Ledrich, are being treated at Crozer-Chester Medical Center's burn unit.

"One of the firefighters received burns to his hands and his ears, but its my understanding their injuries are not as severe as the woman's," said Dalton.

What sparked the fire is still under investigation. Authorities on the scene say it appears to have been accidentally caused but they could not provide more specifics.

Load Comments