Fire victims credit smoke detectors for rescue

April 16, 2012 5:05:20 AM PDT
Three people had to be rescued from an apartment after a fire broke out in a restaurant below, and they credit recently purchased smoke detectors for saving their lives.

The call came in around 11:00 p.m. Sunday for a fire at Johnnie Barrel's in the 2200 block of South 12th Street in South Philadelphia.

Rescuers arrived on the scene to help the three people in the apartment. All three got out okay.

Those rescued told Action News that they just installed smoke detectors last week, and that's what woke them up.

Investigators on the scene believe the fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant.

Load Comments