Candle blamed for Mays Landing fire

July 3, 2012 10:00:10 AM PDT
Officials say a candle, which was being used to light a residence left in the dark due to power outages, is to blame for the blaze that destroyed the home early Tuesday morning.

The fast moving fire was reported around 2:00 a.m. on 6400 block of Garfield Avenue in Mays Landing.

Fire officials tell Action News that power to the home had been out due to the storm over the weekend. A candle being used inside the home apparently ignited surrounding material, which quickly spread out of control.

Arriving firefighters quickly called in for assistance to help battle the blaze. Crews had to truck water in to the scene, delaying efforts to contain the flames.

Luckily, all of the occupants of the home were able to make it out safely before the fire consumed the structure.


Load Comments