Two people injured in Lower Merion fire

July 27, 2012 9:59:30 PM PDT
Two people including a firefighter have been injured in a house fire in Lower Merion.

A blaze brought firefighters to a home in Villanova Friday night, and when they got there, they found that one of the residents was 102 years old.

Fire broke out around 6:45pm in the 2200 block of North Stoneridge Lane. Officials believe the fire started in the kitchen area.

A firefighter from a responding company in Ardmore was injured in the blaze.

Merion Fire Company of Ardmore Chief, Tom Hayden, was the first firefighter on scene.

A woman and her husband were inside the home away from the flames, but they needed help getting their loved one out safely. She is a 102 years old.

Chief Hayden had little time.

"He showed up in his car. He went in found the occupants and removed the occupants," said Bryn Mawr Fire Chief Dan Kincade.

The 102 year old woman was taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

Chief Hayden suffered some smoke inhalation and was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for treatment.

Firefighters say he was alert and talking when he went to the hospital.

"From what I could tell, they looked fine; no blood, no burns, just carrying them to the ambulance like normal firefighters," said neighbor Emily Mayer.

Firefighters say the residents were frying fish and a grease fire got out of control. It was put out quickly and the fire damage contained to the kitchen, though other parts of the house have smoke damage.

"Grease fires are one of the worst ones in the kitchen; put something on the pot and don't watch it, it can be a real headache to everybody," said Chief Kincade.

The fire was brought under control just before 7:30pm.

Load Comments