Milton Hershey School president Anthony Colistra issued a statement Monday that defended its previous decisions regarding the HIV-positive teenager, but says it adopted the new policy based on recent "guidance" from the U.S. Department of Justice.
The school also is developing training for its employees and students on HIV-related issues.
Colistra says he wrote to the teenager last month to apologize and offer him enrollment this fall. A message seeking comment from the young man's lawyer wasn't immediately returned.
The school is financed by a trust that holds the controlling interest in The Hershey Co., the candy-maker.