Fire at Berks Co. mushroom farm ruled accidental

August 23, 2012 5:28:17 PM PDT
Investigators say a fire which tore through a mushroom farm in Berks County Wednesday was the result of an accident.

They say the inferno at the Giorgi Mushroom Company in Ruscomb Manor Township was sparked by an electrical malfunction in a utility room.

The blaze broke out at around 7:00 p.m. Wednesday.

Reports said flames shot as high as 20 feet in the air and the plume of smoke could be seen several miles away in Reading, Pa.

The multi-alarm blaze closed a part of Route 73 near Hartz Road.

No one was injured.

Damage to the facility is estimated at $300,000.


Load Comments