Downed power line sets house on fire in Delaware County, Pa.

August 29, 2012 2:35:44 PM PDT
Firefighters battled a house fire in Delaware County Wednesday morning.

It broke out around 11:30 a.m. in the 200 block of Pancoast Road in Springfield.

Crews arrived to find that a utility pole had fallen, causing a power line to drop onto a home and ignite the roof.

They had to wait for a utility crew to shut off the power before they could douse the flames.

Peco tells Action News that the pole that fell was inspected on August 2nd and was scheduled for another inspection in October.

Peco said a utility crew from Verizon was working on the pole before it fell.

Verizon released the following statement Wednesday afternoon:

"Just before noon today, a Verizon technician working on a repair job disconnected a drop wire between a customer's home and a utility pole. When the wire was disconnected, the utility pole fell onto a neighboring home, sparking a fire from an attached transformer."

"This was an unfortunate accident, and luckily, no one was injured. The incident is currently under investigation."

Peco said the accident left 753 customers without power. As of 3:00 p.m. electricity had been restored to all but 90 customers and that all power was expected to be back on by Wednesday evening.

No injuries were reported from the downed line or the fire.

Load Comments