LA mayor declares 'Carmageddon II' a success

A closed stretch of the 405 freeway extends into the San Franando Valley section of Los Angeles as workers continue the demolition of the Mulholland Drive bridge, not seen in photo, on Saturday Sept. 29,2012. Construction crews are on schedule and traffic tie-ups are minimal in Los Angeles, making for a smooth start to Carmageddon II, the sequel to last year's shutdown of one of the nation's busiest freeways. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)
September 30, 2012 6:17:00 PM PDT
The mayor of Los Angeles is calling "Carmageddon II," the sequel to last year's shutdown of one of the nation's busiest freeways, a success.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa says bridgework that forced the shutdown of Interstate 405 is completed and lanes will reopen as planned Monday morning.

A similar closure occurred last year to demolish portions of the Mulholland Drive bridge to allow construction of an additional freeway lane. Like last year, city residents heeded calls to stay off the road and the weekend traffic was light.

Villaraigosa says his hope and expectations for a "Carmaheaven" came true. He thanked drivers for their cooperation and called them the real stars of the sequel.


Load Comments