1. Linens: Since 1878 linens have gone on sale the first month of the year. That's when John Wanamaker introduced the first White Sale. You can save up to 75% off sheets, bedding, towels, you name it!
2. Jewelry: There's a lull between the holidays and Valentine's Day for jewelers, which makes for big deals on bling.
3. Gift Cards: This may sound odd, but many people received gift cards they won't use, so check gift card exchange websites where you can buy them at a discounted rate, up to 35% off the face value.
4. Gym Memberships and Fitness Equipment: If your New Year's resolution is to get in shape, gym memberships tend to get slashed this month. At-home fitness equipment is also on sale, up to 60% off.
5. Home Improvement Tools: If you are resolving to do more home improvements, you can save about 15% off everything from flooring and carpeting to tools.
What Not to Buy in January:
*Mattresses and furniture - With President's Day Sales and new models coming out next month, it's best to wait if you can.
*Winter sports gear won't go on sale until March.
*Wait until Spring Break to buy luggage.
*Wait until Memorial Day for outdoor and patio furniture.
*If you want older models of technology products, now is the time to jump. The new models are often full price this time of year.