Gas main break, fire at Rosemont College; 3 workers hurt

Gas line break and fire at Rosemont College
August 7, 2013 5:37:46 PM PDT
Three workers were injured after a gas main break and fire on the campus of Rosemont College in Lower Merion Township.

It happened at 4:00 p.m. Wednesday at the college, located in the 1400 block of Montgomery Avenue.

Action News has learned that workers were installing a light pole as part of an athletic field renovation project when they hit a 4-inch PVC natural gas main with a construction auger, sparking a fire.

Three workers received minor burns. Two were taken to Temple University Hospital for treatment. The third declined treatment.

Action News is told they work for Eastern Caisson of Glen Rock, Pa., which is operating as a sub-contractor on the renovation project. Dale Construction Company of Glenside, Pa. is the contractor.

One building was evacuated as firefighters poured water on the flames and utility crews worked to turn off the gas to the main.

The gas was shut off shortly before 5:30 p.m.

Peco Energy said two buildings on campus would lose gas service until the main is repaired. No other customers were expected to be impacted.

The college released the following statement Wednesday night:

The Rosemont College Community is grateful that the gas fire caused by construction on Rosemont's campus has now been extinguished. The gas fire was located on the construction site of the College's new $2 million Athletic Complex, due to be complete later this month. We owe much to the Bryn Mawr Fire Company, the Ardmore Fire Company, the Lower Merion Police Department, PECO, Rosemont's Public Safety Officers and all those who helped restore safety to our campus. The Rosemont Community wishes a speedy recovery to the 3 individuals who sustained minor injuries in the accident.

Load Comments