That's why Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers helped deliver some safe grilling tips at Jack's Firehouse Restaurant in Fairmount on Wednesday.
Ayers, along with restaurant owner Mick Houston, gave the following safety reminders when lighting up the grill:
Do not wear loose fitting clothing while cooking.
Never, under any circumstances, should children (supervised or unsupervised) be allowed to start outdoor cooking equipment.
Barbecue grills are not allowed on apartment building balconies or decks.
Barbecue grills are allowed on porches and decks of one and two family homes.
Never store a spare LPG (propane) container under or near the grill.
Never store LPG cylinders inside your home.
Always turn off the valves when not in use.
When purchasing a gas grill, select one that bears the approval mark of an independent testing laboratory.
Do not transport LPG cylinders in the trunk of a passenger vehicle.
To guard against the possibility of damage or explosion, burners tubing, and piping should be clean and free from insects, dust and debris.