Defense: Toss woman's statements in Pa. slaying

Elytte Barbour (right) told officers before his arrest Friday, Dec. 6, that he and his wife, Miranda (left), had planned to kill before, but their plans never worked out until last month when Troy LaFerrara responded to an online posting that promised companionship in return for money, authorities said. Elytte Barbour, 22, and Miranda Barbour, 18, face criminal homicide charges in LaFerrara's death. His body was found Nov. 12 in an alley in Sunbury, a small city about 100 miles northwest of Philadelphia. (AP Photo/The News-Item, Mike Staugaitis)
February 14, 2014 10:23:27 AM PST
A Pennsylvania woman charged in the killing of a man allegedly lured to his death by a Craigslist ad wasn't afforded an attorney despite repeated requests during two police interviews, the woman's attorney said in a court filing.

The motion filed Monday asks a judge to toss out statements made by Miranda Barbour before she was charged along with her husband in the Nov. 11 killing in Sunbury, The Daily Item reported.

Northumberland County chief public defender Ed Greco also asks that Barbour, 19, be tried separately from her husband, 22-year-old Elytte Barbour. They are both charged with first-degree murder in the death of Troy LaFerrara.

Prosecutors allege Miranda Barbour met the Port Trevorton man on Craigslist and offered him companionship for a fee, then stabbed him in the front seat of her car while her husband held a cord around his neck from the back seat.

Greco also wants the trial moved or a jury to be brought in from another county because of extensive publicity about the case. Prosecutors, who are seeking the death penalty, want both tried together. The motions are to be argued Feb. 26.

Authorities allege that Elytte Barbour told investigators that they committed the crime because they wanted to kill someone together.

A judge has granted defense requests to have a forensic psychiatrist to evaluate both defendants.

Load Comments