It happened around 9:00 Monday night on the 700 block of South 5th Street.
Authorities say a PGW worker was at the scene investigating the report of an odor.
The worker discovered a gas can with wires attached to a timer that was plugged into an outlet at a home undergoing renovations.
The bomb squad was called to the scene to clear the device.
Police say they also discovered gasoline poured throughout the building.
Several houses and an apartment building in the area were evacuated during the incident.
Residents were allowed back in their home early this morning.
Police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms continue to investigate.