Lawsuit: Wal-Mart sold ammo used in 3 local killings

Families of three people killed in Pennsylvania last year are suing Wal-Mart, alleging the retail giant sold ammunition used in the slayings to a man who was underage and drunk.

Wal-Mart employees in Easton were negligent in selling .38-caliber ammunition to 20-year-old Robert Jordain, failing to ensure he was at least 21 as required by law, the suit said.

Jordain and two others have been charged with homicide in the July 5 deaths of a man in Easton and a man and a woman in nearby Allentown. The man who pulled the handgun's trigger that day is accused of killing seven people in two states.

Wal-Mart said it will defend itself from the wrongful-death suit, which was filed last week in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.

The ammunition that Jordain bought could have been used in either a handgun or a rifle, and "the law allows for rifle ammunition to be purchased by someone 18 years of age," Randy Hargrove, the chain's director of national media relations, said in a statement.
Related Topics:
newspennsylvania newsshootinghomicidewalmartAllentown
(Copyright ©2016 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments