20 displaced after 2-alarm apartment building blaze in Delran

EMBED </>More Videos

Burlington County fire officials are trying to figure out what sparked a blaze at an apartment building Wednesday morning. (WPVI)

Burlington County fire officials are trying to figure out what sparked a blaze at an apartment building Wednesday morning.

The flames broke out around 8:45 a.m. at the Hunters Glen Apartment Complex on Route 130 in Delran.

Firefighters initially tried an interior attack of the fire, but were pushed back and went on the defensive. Metal roofing made it difficult for creating ventilation.


The Delran Fire Department says eight units were evacuated.

Resident Dogukan Yimaz tells us, "I was sleeping, I work at night. Me and my brother were sleeping and firefighters started knocking. I was sleeping. If they didn't (knock) I probably would have died. I think I got smoke in my apartment, but a friend of mine, his apartment is all gone."

Delran Fire Chief Joe Cunningham explains, "One resident was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, and one firefighter with minor burns."

Chief Cunningham says the injuries are minor and both the firefighter and the resident were released.

Fire Marshal Walt Bauer says initial responders were told the fire started on a kitchen stove.

Bauer says, "I spoke with a relative of the gentleman who lived in the unit where the fire started. They informed me that he had placed a pot on the stove and then went in the other room to do something. When he came back the kitchen was full of smoke."

Fire officials say roughly 20 people were displaced by the fire. Hunters Glen Management and the Red Cross are helping those people find new shelter.

Related Topics:
apartment firen.j. newsfireDelran
(Copyright ©2017 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments