SOUTH PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) --A firefighter suffered smoke inhalation while battling a two-hour, two-alarm house blaze in South Philadelphia.
The fire started around 1:10 a.m. Wednesday on the 1300 block of South Broad Street.
Fire crews arrived to heavy flames showing from the second and third floor of a three-story row home.
Crews also had to contend with heavy rain, lightning and intense heat while battling the flames.
Neighbors reported seeing a tree sparking near some wires at the rear of the property.
Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Adam Thiel said, "It was an aggressive, outstanding attack... by our fire department. You know everybody's been working hard. We've had a busy couple of weeks in the heat, a real challenge for us. So this was a very, very challenging fire.
The injured firefighter was taken to an area hospital for treatment. He is listed in stable condition.
There were no other injuries reported.
A two-block radius near South Broad and Wharton Street remained closed as crews hosed down hot spots and removed debris.