PENNSAUKEN, N.J. (WPVI) --Six people were hospitalized, including one firefighter, after a blaze at an assisted living facility in Pennsauken, Camden County.
It broke out at 7:15 a.m. Wednesday at the Bentley Senior Living facility on Route 130 near Suckle Highway.
Arriving firefighters quickly evacuated the building.
An administrator tells Action News because the fire happened after 7 a.m. the majority of the residents were already awake, which made the evacuations easier.
Several people suffered smoke inhalation.
"We had six individuals exposed to smoke and injured and transported to local hospitals," said Pennsauken Fire Chief Joe Palumbo. "Three of them (are) employees, two residents and a police officer."
Firefighters say the officer was injured during the evacuations.
Bentley also houses an area for independent living and a secure area for people suffering from dementia. The dementia patients were not affected.
"Luckily when the automatic alarm activated the smoke doors closed," said Palumbo. "And it kept the smoke ... from getting through the entire building. So we've conducted extension ventilation and atmospheric monitoring to make sure all of those individuals are not exposed to any toxins."
The fire began in a two-bedroom unit in the assisted living portion of the facility.
Officials tell Action News the people living in the affected area will be relocated to a different part of the building.
The fire marshal expected to be on scene for most of the day Wednesday to determine a cause.