Plymouth Meeting man says Samsung phone injured him, burned hole through sofa

EMBED </>More Videos

Jason Smith of Plymouth Meeting says he was sleeping on his sofa last Friday when he suddenly felt a burning pain on his stomach. It came from his Samsung Galaxy S7 purchased just three months ago.

Jason Smith of Plymouth Meeting says he was sleeping on his sofa last Friday when he suddenly felt a burning pain on his stomach. It came from his Samsung Galaxy S7 purchased just three months ago.

He ran to the bathroom to put Vaseline on the second degree burns then returned to find that the phone had allegedly burned a hole in his sofa.

"I have felt it heat up before to the point of it being nice and warm. But never to the point where I thought it would burn me, cause if that was the case, I wouldn't have laid it on me," Smith said.

Since summertime, Samsung's trek into flagship smartphones has been a public relations disaster.

In September, it was forced to recall 2.5 million Note 7's after failing to correct a problem that caused the devices to explode.

This was the father of three's first time buying Samsung smartphones including one for his daughter.

When we contacted Samsung, the corporate spokesperson issued the following statement:

"We take every product incident seriously and have reached out to Mr. Smith to investigate what happened and offer our full support. We have no updates to share on this specific incident until we obtain the device and thoroughly examine it to understand its full history."

As of today, Jason Smith says he is going through the claim process with the Samsung Corporation. He's been told it will take several days to complete. But he says, in the meantime, he's going back to using iPhones.

Related Topics:
newspa. newssamsungcellphonesmartphonesexplosionburn injuriesPlymouth Township
(Copyright ©2017 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments