Consumer Reports: Household items that are poisonous to pets

EMBED </>More Videos

Consumer Reports: Household items that are poisonous to pets - Nydia Han reports during Action News at 4:30 p.m. on June 27, 2017. (WPVI)

We've all heard about the benefits of childproofing your home but you might want to pet proof your home too. Things like sugar-free gum and just half a tablet of Tylenol could have devastating health consequences for your four-legged friend.

The ASPCA says pet poisonings have occurred more often in recent years - more than 180,000 cases in 2016 alone.

And while most people know not to feed their dog chocolate or their cat lilies, some other common items can be equally dangerous.

For example, just a few sticks of sugar-free gum could cause your pooch to go into liver failure.

Watch out for commonly prescribed medicines, too. Drugs for for ADHD, heart conditions, and antidepressants can cause rapid heart rate, diarrhea - even seizures if ingested by your pet.

And over-the-counter pain relievers containing acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen can cause liver and kidney failure. Just half a table of Tylenol could put your cat in a coma.

"Just like you would with small children in the house, use common sense with your pets too," said Julia Calderone, Health Editor Consumer Reports.

For instance, chances are your pet will eat off the kitchen floor. Anything you've dropped, from a pill to an onion or grape, are all toxic items.

So take medications over a sink, store them where pets can't reach them and make sure to clean kitchen floors and countertops.

But be aware - floor and household cleaners can be poisonous too. So wait until they evaporate before exposing pets and store them securely.

"Miscellaneous things like batteries or even sugarless gum or candies that contain xylitol are toxic for pets, so make sure that you keep them out of reach," said Calderone.

Keep pets away from insecticides and plants too. Even one lick of pollen from many types of lily can cause kidney failure in your cat.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these items, Consumer Reports says take the toxin away from them immediately, and call your veterinarian.

The ASPCA is a great resource for detailed lists of poisonous items, and they even have a 24-hotline you can call if you think your pet has eaten something questionable: 888-426-4435.

Just note they might charge you a $65-consultation fee.

To read the full story from Consumer Reports, CLICK HERE.

----------
Send a breaking news alert
Report a correction or typo
Learn more about the 6abc apps

Related Topics:
petsconsumersaving with 6abcwhat's the dealconsumer reportsanimalcatsdogpoisondogspet carepet healthpets
(Copyright ©2017 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments