Springfield High School evacuated after e-cigarette malfunctions

EMBED </>More Videos

Springfield High School in Delaware County was briefly evacuated on Tuesday afternoon after a student's e-cigarette malfunctioned. (WPVI)

Springfield High School in Delaware County was briefly evacuated on Tuesday afternoon after a student's e-cigarette malfunctioned.

It happened around 12:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Police Chief Joe Daly tells Action News that the e-cigarette came in contact with loose change in the student's pocket.

That caused the malfunction, causing the device to overheat and smoke.

The school was evacuated and police and firefighters were called.

The student suffered a burn to his hand and hip. No one else was hurt.

Classes have since resumed.

Related Topics:
pennsylvania newsschool evacuationcigarettessmokingSpringfield Township (Delaware County)
(Copyright ©2017 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments